Friday, June 11, 2010

Katherine's Last Day


The beauty of working in an office with a handful of people is you get to know everyone really well.  That is, of course, the downside, too.  For better or worse, the office I work in is like a family – often endearing, sometimes dysfunctional, rarely quiet, and usually chaotic.  We argue, we shout, we joke, we laugh.

Today there was plenty of laughing because, well, it was Friday and it’s summer!  But then it was sad because one of our favorites, Katherine, was leaving us to move on to greener pastures.  Because we are also an office obsessed with food (“it’s 11:30 – time to order LUNCH!!!”), our bon voyage party included cupcakes (delicious, gluten-free, and made by the Departing Katherine) as well as flowers.  That’s pretty typical of AP Interiors special occasions – food and flowers. 

I stopped by my home away from home, Union Square Greenmarket, and picked up bunches of daisies and chamomile.  Aside from on a box of Twinning’s tea, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a chamomile flower before.  Today I saw masses.  Charming and fresh, I’m thinking they would be perfect in my parent’s garden.  Not only would they look lovely, I could dry the petals and make my own tea.  How happy would I be?

Katherine, we’ll miss you!!  Hope to see you on the Vineyard.

Chamomile Tea

Drying Chamomile is so easy, just cut a bundle of these delicate flowers from your organic medicinal garden and hang upside down, set a container or newspaper under the bundle to catch the petals as they dry and fall off. Store in an airtight container and use as needed. It just doesn't get much easier then that, does it?

Brewing a cup of Chamomile Tea:  Steep 2 to 4 teaspoons of fresh or dried flowers with a cup of boiled water for three minutes. Strain and serve. If you like your tea sweetened just add a teaspoon of honey. It's so easy, relaxing and very medicinal.

No comments: