Wednesday, August 19, 2009

BLTs for dinner


Today I was at the Dag Hammarskjold Plaza market (no clue how to pronounce that!!) at 47th Street and 2nd Avenue. This market is open year round on Wednesdays from 8 – 4. For those of you in Midtown like me (my office is 10 blocks away), this is a wonderful, good-sized market with plenty to offer, especially in the summer months.


Lucky for me,
Lani’s Farm from Bordentown, NJ (formerly known as Yuno's Farm) is there; they sell some of the freshest produce I’ve seen at any NYC greenmarket (which is saying a lot!). You can spot their stand by the striking display of colorful vegetables set against a backdrop of white linen tablecloths.


Lani’s heirloom tomatoes have been spectacular this year. Even with the poor weather conditions everything they sell at the stand reaches the market with the help of only the sun and water (no spraying - I asked). When tomatoes are at their best, in my mind it’s time for a BLT.

Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich
Important - Every component in a BLT is important.


Tonight I used lettuce and Brandywine and Green Zebra tomatoes from Lani’s. Don’t forget to salt and pepper the tomatoes.

I had bread in my freezer, picked up a few weeks ago at Union Square from Our Daily Bread. Toast it.

Bacon from
Flying Pigs Farm!! I’m going to write a whole post about FPF and heritage pork. Their bacon is thick and smoky and delicious. If you live in New York City, please try it. It’s not inexpensive but it will make whatever dish you’re using it in much, much better.

I don’t use mayonnaise very often so I never make my own from scratch, but one of these days I’m going to for BLTs, flavored with basil. I made it in cooking school and it’s not hard. Tonight I used Hellman’s.


That’s it. Put it all together and enjoy summertime.

No comments: